Friday, August 19, 2011

The Call of the Sea

"I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying."

-John Masefield
     We spent some time visiting Wrightsville Beach this past weekend and I was struck by the common expressions I noticed on the faces of people young and old and in between all around me and my family. It was a blustery, overcast day, not what you would think of as perfect beach weather, yet everyone I saw was smiling and enjoying the moment. I guess it goes to show, as a friend of mine said, "There is NEVER a bad day at the beach." There is just something about being by the ocean that brings peace. I can still remember seeing the "real" ocean for the first time when I was an undergrad. I had to stop and just stare in awe for a few moments at the vastness of it all. The breeze in your hair, the hint of salt on your lips, and the sounds and sights of the waves and the cries of the gulls eases and soothes. As I begin a new school year with all the stress and excitement that brings, the memory of this walk on the beach will suffice when I need a happy place to occupy my mind.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day to be at the ocean. Love your pictures. :) I haven't been in a long time, but might go on Tuesday with the youth group at church.

    ReplyDelete